A Step of Faith - Our Adventure to Ukraine

Ukraine Map

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Learning To Be Patient

A boy is Truth with dirt on its face, Beauty with a cut on his finger, Wisdom with bubble gum in its hair and the Hope of the future with a frog in its pocket.—Alan Beck

Today was a beautiful day; like a day in March. The streets and markets were full. Our landlady, Olga suggested that we go to a museum about Kherson history dating back to the 1700’s. So we picked Daniel Valera up at the orphanage a little after lunch and went to the museum with Olga and her family. It was very interesting, but Daniel was a typical 9 year old and half way through he said he was bored! We went to a café and he was tickled. He can sure eat- which will fit in good with our family! For the first time since we are here, Doug and I had something we couldn’t eat. Olga suggested rolled pork covered in bread crumbs, so that is what we ordered. It sure looked good; when we sliced into it we discovered something that we thought was fat. Helen told us it was like pork “jello” made from pig legs. Doug and I were trying not to be rude, but we just could not eat it. We came back to the apartment and had corn flakes instead!

Helen stopped at a Christian center and found a church for us to go to tomorrow, and it happens to be Mennonite. I am very anxious to see what it is like.

Please, please pray that Monday goes well. We heard of a case today where the Judge in another region was gracious enough to wave the 10 day wait for a family. I will have to beg and plead my case in front of the Judge and other court officials. We were expecting at the minimum 3 weeks, but any longer that that makes it hard for Doug at work and with missing the kids at home. It is also hard for Daniel, because he is waiting too. The other day he asked Helen if he is still going to America. If I could write a letter to the Judge, it would be no problem, but I need to stand before her and ask for mercy. I am already nervous, but I am really homesick so it will be coming from my heart. Please pray that above all else, she will have a heart to let us come home early. Thank you all so very much and send the request to as many prayer chains as you can!!!!!

Love, Doug and Glenda

“When you pass through the water, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze, “says the Lord. Isaiah 43:2

10 Comments:

  • You can be sure I will be praying for you! The Lord knows your need to be home soon so I pray for that judge to waive your time there.Glenda, you both will do fine before that judge with all the prayers going out for you. I also pray for that special little boy of yours on his wait to get to his new home.He will be so happy to get here and to finally have a family of his own ! I bet-cha your Mennonite church experience will be neat. One church we visited in Siberia had women on one side..men on the other. Blessings, Blanche
    PS. Pray for safe travel as I fly across the big pond Sun.nite.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 26, 2005 12:00 PM  

  • This is for Mommy and Daddy
    MoLLy and Andre had a
    party with pretzels and
    a loaf of bread
    and one time they had
    a whole bag of oreos
    and I loved that baby
    outfit so much. LittLe baby
    Loved it to.
    LOVE RACHEL
    I LOVE YOU SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH.
    I am Daddy's little Princess and Mommy's to.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 26, 2005 6:04 PM  

  • Well Monday will be a day of fervent prayer...on our knees for sure!!! You will do fine, just keep praying for peace, peace, peace. It is amazing what peace brings! I know you are in this tough stretch of waiting, and that is sure to be our prayer for you...to keep the monday appt. and waive the 10 day stay!! But prepare yourself as well for that not to be God's plan...and you will hang in there and He will give you the strength you need....He assures us of that! If you do get too homesick, just think quickly of those hours of housecleaning, helping with nate's science fair project :0, finding "little baby" wherever she is! :0, cleaning up dog poop, setting alarms for work, and running, running, running!! Just use this time to take a break from all that because pretty soon you will be back into it and would love for a little "r and r" with each other :) ..(I know it's easier said than done, but try :)
    Things are going well here...very frigid and definitely winter has arrived! We are looking forward to having rachel over on monday again and the girls hope you don't come home early because they are liking this routine :) Take care, huge hugs to you both, and love stretching from here to there, Rhonda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 26, 2005 7:47 PM  

  • It is Sunday morning and we are preparing for worship at SMC. Be assured of our love and prayers for you this day and especially on Monday. As I was praying this morning I came to these verses from Psalms 143:8,10 - "Let me hear of your unfailing love to me in the morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I have come to you in prayer. May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing." We are praying for you, that the Lord will lead you and Daniel Valera home to PA. Know that God's gracious Spirit will lead you.
    With our love and prayers.
    Gerry and Lydia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 27, 2005 4:06 AM  

  • This is for Mommy and Daddy,
    I LOVE YOU MOMMY AND DADDY SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH. I HAVE a
    special surprise for you
    Mommy and Daddy and
    MoLLY AND ANDRE MISS YOU SO SO SO SO SO MUCH. THIS IS FROM YOUR
    PRINCESS. NATHAN Loves you to.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 27, 2005 11:52 AM  

  • We have enjoyed reading your postings. As I read this posting this evening, I realized that with the time change, you are probably getting close to you appointment. Our prayers go with you in hopes that this judge will have a tender heart and allow you to come home real soon. Looking forward to your next entry. Blessings!! Gary and Kim Wieder

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 27, 2005 7:06 PM  

  • Good Morning Doug and Glenda -
    It is the first day of buck hunting around here. Dad and Adam are out this morning. Anyway, last night Rachel was giving you a few comments and Mom-mom goofed so it didn't go through. So here goes - I love you Mommy and Daddy so so so so so much. Andre slep in my bed. He was very grumpy. Nathan loves you too. I'm going to Rhonda's soon. Love, Rachel and Nathan.
    Glenda - I was anxious to read your comments and do hope and pray your court day goes well and that you will be able to come home soon. Rachel said to tell you the dogs miss you too.
    I will also be anxious to learn of your experience at the Mennonite church you visited. An experience of a lifetime just to be there in the Ukraine - the country and the culture, food, etc., but most expecially bringing home a special boy. We are all looking forward to meeting him.
    Take care, God's Speed and we love you. And the Eagles beat the Packers!

    Love, hugs, prayers,

    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 28, 2005 5:34 AM  

  • Good Morning Doug and Glenda -
    It is the first day of buck hunting around here. Dad and Adam are out this morning. Anyway, last night Rachel was giving you a few comments and Mom-mom goofed so it didn't go through. So here goes - I love you Mommy and Daddy so so so so so much. Andre slep in my bed. He was very grumpy. Nathan loves you too. I'm going to Rhonda's soon. Love, Rachel and Nathan.
    Glenda - I was anxious to read your comments and do hope and pray your court day goes well and that you will be able to come home soon. Rachel said to tell you the dogs miss you too.
    I will also be anxious to learn of your experience at the Mennonite church you visited. An experience of a lifetime just to be there in the Ukraine - the country and the culture, food, etc., but most expecially bringing home a special boy. We are all looking forward to meeting him.
    Take care, God's Speed and we love you. And the Eagles beat the Packers!

    Love, hugs, prayers,

    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 28, 2005 5:34 AM  

  • Doug and Glenda:

    I will pray for patience and wisdom for you as you go through your court date. Ten days may seem like forever right now but it is but a hearbeat in God's big picture. Enjoy your time with Daniel. You will have to share him with everyone once you get him home!

    Peace, and prayers for you!
    Colleen D.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 28, 2005 10:53 AM  

  • What an exciting trip for your family! Joyce just told me about this site, wish I had known about it earlier - but, our prayers go with you as you complete your journey! We are anxious to meet your new son! Take care & God bless you! Esther/Len, too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 06, 2005 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters