A Step of Faith - Our Adventure to Ukraine

Ukraine Map

Thursday, November 17, 2005

do-BRIH-Dehn’! Hello, good day!

Just wanted to say “HI” and let you know we are doing OK. Last night we hopped on a train around 8 pm and arrived in the Kherson region around 6 am this morning. We were in a sleep car with bunks, us and our new translator, Helen. Faye, you would have died, it was about 6ft by 6ft, and at each stop we felt like we were in the movie Schindlers List. The sounds and the sights were exactly the same- UNBELIEVABLE! Helen works with Kostya, but he needed to stay in Kiev to help another family. She is wonderful. You do not realize the freedoms and privileges we have in America until you leave for a while. In a nutshell, she and her husband were brought up in Atheist homes and struggled to even get a bible until after they were married. They both became believers and now they teach bible classes at college, work at orphanages, and do other mission type work in Ukraine.
The people we have met are really neat and very dedicated. We have been enjoying the food and Helen laughs because we are not picky eaters like some she works with- we will eat anything- actually I had a little trouble with the rabbit at lunch, but everything else has been really good!
We have been walking and walking and walking. On Tuesday night after dinner we went to an apartment of another couple that is here right now from Washington State. They said their apartment was right around the corner. They forgot to mention that you have to climb up the road about a 3/4 mile first. Doug and I each had our “bags of valuables" with us, as our other bags were at the train station. I thought we were going to die that night!
Anyway, we did have our trip to the orphanage today. This day is a day that I will never forget in all my life. To see such beautiful children was overwhelming to say the least. I was fighting back the tears most of the time, and the thing that was so neat was the instant smiles that they could give. We were able to meet with the Director of the orphanage, who really was a neat man; kindhearted is the first word I think of. We were able to meet with the psychologist and the pediatrician. I know that you are all wondering, what, who? We need one more day to put it all together and until that time we need to keep things to ourselves. It has been a very emotional time and a wonderful time all in one. It is a process of thinking with your head, feeling with your heart, and putting your faith in the Lord. I have felt Him guiding each step of the way.
I hope all is well back home with all of you. Nate and Rachel it was so good to hear your voices tonight- and just like Dad said, you are having a good time! I miss you both!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDRE!

Love, Doug and Glenda


For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end. Psalm 48:14

3 Comments:

  • Doug and Glenda,
    So good to finally hear from you! I'd have to say by your writing that it does sound positive! I can tell by your tone. We had a good night. Rachel and Matthew got a jacuzzi bubble bath and Eric was making obnoxious sounds on the speaker. Matthew was laughing so hard I thought he was going to stop breathing. Rachel insists she has no homework! They were so tired and in bed by 8;00. We also sang 'happy birthday' to Andre. We look forward to hearing more and continue to keep you in our prayers! Amy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 16, 2005 6:29 PM  

  • Once again, I was checking the blog all day, so anxious to hear about the next step in this incredible journey of yours. We can't even begin to imagine the experience God is leading you through. Can't wait to hear how many additions there will be to the Moyer family. Love, prayers, and many blessings to you!!!!
    Holly and Barry

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 16, 2005 7:14 PM  

  • Boy I am I glad I checked this before i headed off to sleep...I was very concerned, truthfully, not hearing from you. But I agree with Amy that there is a peace in your writing that is a reassurance to us that you are still allowing God to lead. These days are agonizing I know, and those trips to the orphanage are like no other...you want to snuggle them all up and bring them back. And if you feel heartache for those left behind, be assured that that is soooo very normal and we have experienced that as well. But it gives us more children to pray for, and as you will find out, they will become part of your "family" from faraway in your thoughts and prayers forever! So they are not the "forgotten children" like they are often referred to, rather we called them our "angels in waiting"! I hope you are getting good sleep with all the walking and busyness, and emotional journey...because we surely are praying for your health and strength to get through each day. I see rach on the bus each morning and she waves and instantly lights up when mattea gets to sit with her (their new bus assigned seats :) ... they are doing well. Thanks sooo much my dear for this update...you have alot of people hanging on but I was told that now I knew how people felt here at home when we were in china. :) Be well, my friends...remember your Footprints each step of the way...In faith, love and friendship, Rhonda and family

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 16, 2005 8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters