Day Seven!
Hello Everyone! Hope all is well with you back home. It is hard to believe that we have been here a week already. I was actually more homesick the first couple days then now, just being in a new country can really take you for a spin! Also, the kids sound like they are having a wonderful time, and that really makes me feel good. It has been a great experience so far. The culture is really very different then ours. We have been learning so many things from Helen, our translator. Everyone eats soup at least once a day- and we have had some delicious borsch- is comes in different varieties (look it up on the web!) We have found a favorite café that we’ve been to at least once a day while here in Kherson. The hostess is a beautiful lady and very kind. We have met a lot of really nice people here. Yesterday we were basically running around all day doing our paper work. Last night around 5 pm we took a trip to the village where Valero was born. It was about 2 hours from Kherson, but we needed to pick up a paper from the local officials there. We had this neat taxi driver, grandpa type- he was so happy to hear that we were adopting. He was driving about 75 mph, which seemed like a 150 in this small car- I wasn’t sure we would live, but our translator kept saying- “Oh, he’s a good driver!” Well thankfully we made it to the village. We went to pick up this paper at this ladies apartment and she wasn’t home. Helen knocked on the neighbor’s door to see if we were at the right place. We were, but she just wasn’t home. This couple (Sasha & Elena) asked us to come in their apartment, offered us tea and we were there over an hour. They wanted to know what we did, where we live and why we were adopting. He could speak a little English. It was amazing to me- can you imagine stopping by a stranger’s apartment on a Friday night and being invited in for tea and some chit- chat?! There are some simple things here that are lost in America. Everyone talks to each other like they know each other for years- Jen – I’m sure you know what I’m talking about! Most people are thin, they eat healthy, but they need a Surgeon General- I think most people smoke! We have done a lot of walking- I heard we would and it is true- it makes you feel good! Amy, you would love it here- hardly anyone has a dryer and they hang out all there wash! Matthew would be right at home- everyone takes off their shoes and puts their “house shoes” on at the front door!
We had a wonderful visit with Valera yesterday. The Director brought him in the office and asked him if he would like to have a Papa and a Mama. This is another moment I won’t ever forget. He is so sweet. He had to go up to his classroom and write a letter stating that he wanted to be adopted (see picture) He did so well and really worked hard. Today we had a great day with Valera-by the way we need to put his official name on his passport application at some point, and that name will be Daniel Valera Moyer! We told him today and he smiled. We will still call him Valera while he is at the orphanage and see how he feels about his American name later- we don’t want to do something that he is uncomfortable with.
We asked the Director if we could take him to the zoo. He is so kind; he had no problem with that. It was about an hour from the orphanage, and Valera was as patient as could be. We went around the zoo and he would say what the animal was in Ukrainian and we would say the English word and he repeated it! What I noticed the most is that kids are kids- he is just a normal kid! At the end of the day, we stopped by the souvenirs- what cracked me up was he picked out exactly what Nate would have at that age- a plastic animal and a rubber yo- yo with goo and bugs inside! We were able to buy some for all his friends at the orphanage and he couldn’t wait to give them theirs. I am happy beyond words that he will have a family- but he will miss the only family he knows- the teachers and good kids at the orphanage. I really only have positive things to say about the orphanage. It is a much better environment than these kids would have if they were with people that were unable to care for them or in the street. They eat 5 times a day, they learn and they have each other. We learned today that they take a bus to church every Sunday for worship! It is very hard not get attached to all of them- I can’t tell you how blessed I feel to have been given this opportunity- and I know that the last day we are here will not be easy.
Thanks for your comments and your prayers. Continue to pray for the adoption paperwork process to go smoothly and for a quick return. I could spend time each day at the orphanage forever if I could, but I really miss Nate and Rachel back home. Daniel Valera is very excited to meet his brother and sister and those two dogs! He is very excited to ride the 4-wheeler and to shoot hoops. He is an angel and God’s plan is amazing to me.
Enjoy the Thanksgiving meal tomorrow at Dawn’s – we will really miss not being there! I am very thankful for all who will be- Lord willing we can call in the afternoon. It gets me through the days when I can talk to the kids! PS- can you let the dogs out after the meal (I looked on the schedule and I think I forgot about the afternoon-THANKS!)
Love,
Doug and Glenda
Before I was born the Lord called me; from my birth he has made mention of my name. Isaiah 49:1
We had a wonderful visit with Valera yesterday. The Director brought him in the office and asked him if he would like to have a Papa and a Mama. This is another moment I won’t ever forget. He is so sweet. He had to go up to his classroom and write a letter stating that he wanted to be adopted (see picture) He did so well and really worked hard. Today we had a great day with Valera-by the way we need to put his official name on his passport application at some point, and that name will be Daniel Valera Moyer! We told him today and he smiled. We will still call him Valera while he is at the orphanage and see how he feels about his American name later- we don’t want to do something that he is uncomfortable with.
We asked the Director if we could take him to the zoo. He is so kind; he had no problem with that. It was about an hour from the orphanage, and Valera was as patient as could be. We went around the zoo and he would say what the animal was in Ukrainian and we would say the English word and he repeated it! What I noticed the most is that kids are kids- he is just a normal kid! At the end of the day, we stopped by the souvenirs- what cracked me up was he picked out exactly what Nate would have at that age- a plastic animal and a rubber yo- yo with goo and bugs inside! We were able to buy some for all his friends at the orphanage and he couldn’t wait to give them theirs. I am happy beyond words that he will have a family- but he will miss the only family he knows- the teachers and good kids at the orphanage. I really only have positive things to say about the orphanage. It is a much better environment than these kids would have if they were with people that were unable to care for them or in the street. They eat 5 times a day, they learn and they have each other. We learned today that they take a bus to church every Sunday for worship! It is very hard not get attached to all of them- I can’t tell you how blessed I feel to have been given this opportunity- and I know that the last day we are here will not be easy.
Thanks for your comments and your prayers. Continue to pray for the adoption paperwork process to go smoothly and for a quick return. I could spend time each day at the orphanage forever if I could, but I really miss Nate and Rachel back home. Daniel Valera is very excited to meet his brother and sister and those two dogs! He is very excited to ride the 4-wheeler and to shoot hoops. He is an angel and God’s plan is amazing to me.
Enjoy the Thanksgiving meal tomorrow at Dawn’s – we will really miss not being there! I am very thankful for all who will be- Lord willing we can call in the afternoon. It gets me through the days when I can talk to the kids! PS- can you let the dogs out after the meal (I looked on the schedule and I think I forgot about the afternoon-THANKS!)
Love,
Doug and Glenda
Before I was born the Lord called me; from my birth he has made mention of my name. Isaiah 49:1


5 Comments:
Dear Doug and Glenda...
Greetings from the "Weaver Restaurant"...we will miss you guys so much at our family dinner tomorrow...we will remember you all in our prayers and thank God for all His blessings He has given to us this year...and we especially thank God for blessing our lives with Nate, Rachel and now Daniel Valera...We do like his name...we are anxious to meet our new nephew and will continue to keep you all in our prayers...we love you all...take care and God be with you all until we meet again. We love you...Craig and Dawn...Gobble, Gobble!
By
Anonymous, at November 19, 2005 5:15 PM
It is awesome having Rach with us and feeling like a part of this journey is now real! She is doing great and they are keeping busy! :)
We went to Royann for dinner and then to see Chicken Little movie (she may tell you she was a bit scared at one point, but overall it was very cute) Needless to say, after a busy day of play, she and Melea fell asleep in the car on the way home and went right to bed.Taking care of the dogs continues to be alot of fun for our family...they are wonderful for us and can see the attachment Rach has with them :)
Tomorrow we are in the church nursery so the girls are excited about that. We are said Rach leaves us tomorrow, but I showed the girls the calendar of her return visits and they yelled with glee :) It is soooo awesome to hear your stories of each day, and your time getting to know Daniel Valera. I can't help but to remember those similarities with fondness and joy, for they will never be repeated and are blessings from God. Thanks for the updates...do you know how many people are checking these blogs each day, several TIMES a day, just waiting for the latest news. :) Hope you continue to stay healthy, eat well, and that the journey goes smoothe. We love you sooo much and are rejoicing with each day's progress! Blessings in peace and faith, Rhonda
By
Anonymous, at November 19, 2005 8:13 PM
Dear Doug and Glenda,
Glad to hear that you have gotten to spend some more time with Daniel Valera Moyer. What a wonderful strong name, as Daniel was in the Bible. Glenda, I had to laugh listening to you describe how quickly the taxi driver drove. When I lived in Costa Rica, I had to take taxis many times, and I used to pray for my safe arrival. It was interesting to hear you remark on the friendliness of the people there. I found the same to be true in Spain and Costa Rica. It does make you think that something is missing in the United States. Your pictures are wonderful to see and the picture of him write his adoption letter is moving. He looks like such a happy and content boy. You continue to be in our prayers and thoughts. God bless you and your new family.
As Corey's grandmother used to say, "God loves you and so do we!".
Corey, Kim, Becca, and Brett
By
Anonymous, at November 20, 2005 4:43 AM
Dear Glenda and Doug,
Thank you for the updates. We really look forward to the sharing of your experiences and the time you spend with Daniel Valera. The name you chose is as precious as the boy that will own it. We are so anxious to meet our new nephew!!
We are getting ready to have our Thanksgiving dinner at Dawn and Craigs' home. It will be nice to be all together again except for missing both of you and now Daniel Valera. Please remember that you will all be with us in our hearts and we will keep you in our prayers and also express our thanks for the wonderful blessing of the new addition to our family.
Doug, you look really great on the pictures. You look very content and peaceful. I am so anxious to see you both!! Glenda, we are all really into this blogging and you have a real gift of expressing your feelings in a very positive and espressive way. You have quite a group of followers. We will expect you to continue to do this in all future trips Doug and you take. Ex..Family trips and anniversary. Ha! Ha!
Our love is with you and a special thanksgiving prayer that God will continue to bless you both and make this a special Thanksgiving that you will always remember. We will give Nate and Rachel much love so enjoy this time of sharing with Daniel Valera and the beautiful people and places that have been a part of his life.
Much love,
Jeff and Faye
By
Anonymous, at November 20, 2005 8:02 AM
Dear Doug & Glenda,
We have truly been blessed by your messages, scriptures, and such as we follow you on this journey. I have been reading this daily and have finally figured out how to write back to you. I have shared the pictures of Daniel with Jill as she is talking with Rachel at school about her new brother. We continue to pray for you both and Jill prays for Rachel as "she probably really misses her mom but is being real brave."
We can see the hand of God is working for you in this process and we continue to pray that everything will fall into place for you to bring Daniel home. In prayers and frienship,
Todd & Lori Bolton & family
By
Anonymous, at November 20, 2005 8:34 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home