The Waiting Child
The Waiting Child
-Debbie Bodie
I saw you meet your child today
You kissed your baby joyfully
And as you walked away with her
I played pretend you’d chosen me.
I’m happy for the baby, yet
Inside I’m aching miserably
I want to plead as you go by
“Does no one want a child of three?”
I saw you meet your child today
In love with her before you met
And as I watched you take her out
I knew it wasn’t my turn yet.
I recognize you from last year!
I knew I’d seen your face before!
But you came for a second babe.
Does know one want a child of four?
I saw you meet your child today
But this time there was something new
A nurse came in and took My hand
And then she gave my hand to you
Can this be true? I’m almost six!
And there are infants here you see?
And then you kissed me and I knew
The child you chose this time was me.
Well, we are sure that you are all wondering what is going on!
As you know by now when we originally started the process we had originally thought that a 3 year old would be a nice age, and when we had our homestudy done, the lady helping us encouraged us to go up to 5. Many times Doug had said how about up to 10.
I was more hesitant about an older child than he was, but had done some reading about it anyway. In the last half year, the process in Ukraine has been becoming more difficult and receiving referrals for healthy children between 3 and 5 was not happening on a regular basis. We had been reading this and preparing ourselves. In September, as I mentioned before, the National Adoption Center stopped taking new applications all together. We had started the process in February and had been given our November travel date in July. This trip was meant to be. A lot of chit chat on the internet had encouraged families to wait and try again in 2006. Up to this point, we only paid money out for our legal fees here, we could have decided to ‘try again later”. A lot of people end up doing their paper work over again because it expires after a year while they are waiting for a travel date. Like I said, this trip was meant to be. Anyway, the month before we traveled we had talked a lot about the possibility of the child/children being older than 5. God was preparing our hearts.
On Monday, during the appointment, I was at one point just looking out the window. With six binders full of children, 100’s of children that were not very healthy, I felt like I was shutting down. At the end of the second hour, Doug had seen a boy as cute as anything with a great big smile, adorable. He showed it to me and I looked at the birth date. He was 9 years old. I can honestly say that I felt so peaceful about this sitting in the chair. We told the counselor that we would like more information. His diagnosis was healthy! God is so good, he knew that we were not coming back for a second appointment!
We had intense anxiety until we were finally able to meet him. You can’t always trust that the diagnosis or picture will be the same as what you were shown before. We were sitting in a room and his teacher brought him in. He was adorable, and although we were told not to “feel” too much, Doug and I both knew he was our son. He was just a shy little boy in a school uniform. We were able to take a walk with him and play ball, put a Lego together (Nate’s favorite when he was a boy!) and see his classroom and bedroom. He told us that he liked table tennis!
After talking to the counselor, teachers, pediatrician, and orphanage Director we felt like we wanted to say yes right away, but we knew in our heads that we needed some time to think and we wanted one more visit with him. We had that visit today and Lord willing we will be able to bring our new son home soon! I know that you are all shocked at this point!
In our hearts we feel that this is just right for our family. Nate is still the king, being the oldest and Rachel is still the princess, and daddy’s little girl and he will be the prince. His name is Valera and he is a neat guy. At the orphanage they said he is a nice, kind boy and doesn’t fight back if someone picks on him. He does not have any siblings and his mother died when he was 3. His grandmother was taking care of him, but she could not afford to keep him. He has been in the orphanage since he was 6. The orphanage is for school age children ages 6-16. They have lessons during the day and playtime after school. Believe me, they do not have much, but they have structure, meals and friends. They all learn to read and write and to take care of them selves. They also know a little English. They learn to respect their elders.
We had a wonderful visit with his group today, these children are so beautiful, it really breaks my heart. They absolutely love Doug’s camera and I-pod. In Ukraine, they are allowed to learn about God! They sang some Christian songs. They knew about God and that Jesus was born on Christmas. Each Sunday they are able to go to the local church for worship.
I could go on and on, but we are truly happy! I might have thought that I wanted a small child, but God knew what our family needed. Valera will have a great older brother to shoot hoops with and ride 4 wheeler with, go fishing with, etc. It really makes a complete family circle. Every one will be able to relate and love him. That truly is what he needs, a family’s love. It will take a while to adjust and learn the language, but anything is possible with love! God is good!
The process isn’t complete and final and that in itself can be stressful as well. Please continue praying that things go smoothly and that we can come home quickly. We love you Nate and Rachel!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA!
Love, Doug and Glenda
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
I hope that whenever I give a gift to a child, that child knows the gift does not come from me, but from God, the source of all good gifts.—S. Truett Cathy
-Debbie Bodie
I saw you meet your child today
You kissed your baby joyfully
And as you walked away with her
I played pretend you’d chosen me.
I’m happy for the baby, yet
Inside I’m aching miserably
I want to plead as you go by
“Does no one want a child of three?”
I saw you meet your child today
In love with her before you met
And as I watched you take her out
I knew it wasn’t my turn yet.
I recognize you from last year!
I knew I’d seen your face before!
But you came for a second babe.
Does know one want a child of four?
I saw you meet your child today
But this time there was something new
A nurse came in and took My hand
And then she gave my hand to you
Can this be true? I’m almost six!
And there are infants here you see?
And then you kissed me and I knew
The child you chose this time was me.
Well, we are sure that you are all wondering what is going on!
As you know by now when we originally started the process we had originally thought that a 3 year old would be a nice age, and when we had our homestudy done, the lady helping us encouraged us to go up to 5. Many times Doug had said how about up to 10.
I was more hesitant about an older child than he was, but had done some reading about it anyway. In the last half year, the process in Ukraine has been becoming more difficult and receiving referrals for healthy children between 3 and 5 was not happening on a regular basis. We had been reading this and preparing ourselves. In September, as I mentioned before, the National Adoption Center stopped taking new applications all together. We had started the process in February and had been given our November travel date in July. This trip was meant to be. A lot of chit chat on the internet had encouraged families to wait and try again in 2006. Up to this point, we only paid money out for our legal fees here, we could have decided to ‘try again later”. A lot of people end up doing their paper work over again because it expires after a year while they are waiting for a travel date. Like I said, this trip was meant to be. Anyway, the month before we traveled we had talked a lot about the possibility of the child/children being older than 5. God was preparing our hearts.
On Monday, during the appointment, I was at one point just looking out the window. With six binders full of children, 100’s of children that were not very healthy, I felt like I was shutting down. At the end of the second hour, Doug had seen a boy as cute as anything with a great big smile, adorable. He showed it to me and I looked at the birth date. He was 9 years old. I can honestly say that I felt so peaceful about this sitting in the chair. We told the counselor that we would like more information. His diagnosis was healthy! God is so good, he knew that we were not coming back for a second appointment!
We had intense anxiety until we were finally able to meet him. You can’t always trust that the diagnosis or picture will be the same as what you were shown before. We were sitting in a room and his teacher brought him in. He was adorable, and although we were told not to “feel” too much, Doug and I both knew he was our son. He was just a shy little boy in a school uniform. We were able to take a walk with him and play ball, put a Lego together (Nate’s favorite when he was a boy!) and see his classroom and bedroom. He told us that he liked table tennis!
After talking to the counselor, teachers, pediatrician, and orphanage Director we felt like we wanted to say yes right away, but we knew in our heads that we needed some time to think and we wanted one more visit with him. We had that visit today and Lord willing we will be able to bring our new son home soon! I know that you are all shocked at this point!
In our hearts we feel that this is just right for our family. Nate is still the king, being the oldest and Rachel is still the princess, and daddy’s little girl and he will be the prince. His name is Valera and he is a neat guy. At the orphanage they said he is a nice, kind boy and doesn’t fight back if someone picks on him. He does not have any siblings and his mother died when he was 3. His grandmother was taking care of him, but she could not afford to keep him. He has been in the orphanage since he was 6. The orphanage is for school age children ages 6-16. They have lessons during the day and playtime after school. Believe me, they do not have much, but they have structure, meals and friends. They all learn to read and write and to take care of them selves. They also know a little English. They learn to respect their elders.
We had a wonderful visit with his group today, these children are so beautiful, it really breaks my heart. They absolutely love Doug’s camera and I-pod. In Ukraine, they are allowed to learn about God! They sang some Christian songs. They knew about God and that Jesus was born on Christmas. Each Sunday they are able to go to the local church for worship.
I could go on and on, but we are truly happy! I might have thought that I wanted a small child, but God knew what our family needed. Valera will have a great older brother to shoot hoops with and ride 4 wheeler with, go fishing with, etc. It really makes a complete family circle. Every one will be able to relate and love him. That truly is what he needs, a family’s love. It will take a while to adjust and learn the language, but anything is possible with love! God is good!
The process isn’t complete and final and that in itself can be stressful as well. Please continue praying that things go smoothly and that we can come home quickly. We love you Nate and Rachel!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA!
Love, Doug and Glenda
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
I hope that whenever I give a gift to a child, that child knows the gift does not come from me, but from God, the source of all good gifts.—S. Truett Cathy


10 Comments:
Oh, my gosh, how exciting! What a great choice, and what a lucky boy! He looks like he will just fit right in with your loving family. Looks like you're prayers have been answered, and God has been Good!!! All these little girls at home would just love him to death. I'll keep praying for your continued journey, but things sure do look optimistic. Have fun and take care - Holly
By
Anonymous, at November 17, 2005 4:23 PM
Doug and Glenda,
I'm just sitting here sobbing and Becca wants to know why I'm sad. "Honey," I told her, "I'm not sad. I'm crying out of happiness for this little boy who God has planned for Rachel's family." Wow, you're right Glenda, "God is so Good". He works in such mysterious ways, especially with planting the idea of looking into an older child. Corey and I have been checking in a couple of times of days and have been praying each night for both of you. Valera is a beautiful boy and he's going to have two awesome siblings and fantastic parents! I can't even begin to express how excited we are for you, your family, and Velera. We will continue to pray for a safe and positive journey.
In His Love,
Corey, Kim, Becca, and Brett
By
Anonymous, at November 17, 2005 4:57 PM
What a wonderful report and a beautiful little boy. We can't wait to meet him! Matthew is so nervous. He said 'I am shy to new friends" He also asked if "Doug and Glenda are used to him yet" and if "they are shy with the boy". He also said that there will be 3 boys when he goes over to your house.....poor Rachel. We continue to watch and pray.
Amy
By
Anonymous, at November 17, 2005 5:47 PM
Dear Doug and Glenda...
It was nice hearing your voices tonight and enjoying Nate and Rachel smiling while they were talking to you both, they sure are a pleasure too treasure...Valera might be in our 3rd. grade Sunday School class and that would be nice...our thoughts and prayers will be with you all and counting the days until you all come home again...take care and may God be your guide...With Love, Craig and Dawn
By
Anonymous, at November 17, 2005 6:41 PM
Doug and Glenda,
Congratulations! Looks like God is blessing your journey and search. Phyllis and are are very happy to hear your lastest news about locating the child. We hope the LORD works everything out for you and his purpose.
"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God,to them who are called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28
Frank and Phyllis Allebach
By
Anonymous, at November 18, 2005 5:18 AM
Doug and Glenda,
Congratulations. We are so happy for your family. It will be wonderful to have another boy on the street. You told me months ago you prayed that you would know which child was the one for your family, and God has made that possible. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. We continue to pray for you and your family. We look forward to your return.-Pat, Doug, Kyle and Eric-
By
Anonymous, at November 18, 2005 1:11 PM
Dear Doug and Glenda:
My life has changed so much lately - I'm a new Mom-mom. Please teach this to Valera before he comes "home". He is beautiful. I can't wait to meet him. I was up to midnight (past) having a good time on this computer. And then when I finally went to bed - guess what - I had company - Molly and Andre' and I never thought that would happen! The kids are getting ready to go to their friends houses. We are doing McDonald's for supper. We guys - we've been with you every step of the way - in thought and prayer. We will be waiting for more news.
Again - God's speed.
Love you both -
Mother Hen
By
Anonymous, at November 18, 2005 1:21 PM
This is so exciting, and Valera looks like he belongs to the Moyer family already! I just can't believe that you are only coming home with one child!!!!! It's not too late to bring home an extra brother or sister to keep Valera company! :)
Continued joy & mercies ...
Carol
By
Anonymous, at November 18, 2005 4:16 PM
I just came home from out of town and checked to hear any news before rachel came over tonight. AND IT'S VALERA!!! We are sooo excited! And you should have seen mattea's face smile when she found out rachel would have a brother HER age!!! So cool :) He looks so much like he belongs with you. He appears happy and fun and well! I love your pix of you teaching his class(you go girl!!) I love to the pix of his friends....they will surely be a part of his life and good memories.
Rachel is here now and the girls are already in their"modeling clothes" :), played school, and are now playing Christmas songs on the piano! What music to my ears :)
Rachel is happy and seems unphased by all the happenings. She smiles when talking about her new brother and just says that his name will maybe change if he wants to, but she forgets to what. :) We are anxious for the weekend of taking care of molly and andre too. M and M can't wait to do this! :) Be well my friends. Prayers are being answered every day in many ways!! God Bless you and Doug as you interact with your new son :), and take each day in continued faith. Our love, Rhonda
By
Anonymous, at November 18, 2005 5:11 PM
Sounds like our story....we asked for a 3 year old girl..got a 9 year old boy, but what a blessing he has been. Enjoy your time there and starting the bonding process. It is really wonderful that you opened your hears to a child who otherwise may never have had a home. You will be blessed ! Blanche
By
Anonymous, at November 22, 2005 4:12 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home