A Step of Faith - Our Adventure to Ukraine

Ukraine Map

Monday, November 14, 2005

A Day Like No Other

Today is very hard to write about, because there is no way to describe what it was like on a computer. We had a quiet morning. Our appointment was at 12:00, I think we were there around 11:40. We waited in a long hallway and I actually thought my heart was popping out of my chest. I was fighting back the tears and I thought I was going to ball! I did bring my Footprints book with my and I opened up the page and the verse was- Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today.... The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still. Ex. 14:13-14 After waiting and watching door after door open, they told us at 1:00 it was lunch and we could come back at 2:30. We went to lunch and went back to the Adoption Center at 2:30. Finally we went in. The room was very small and we were asked what we were requesting. The social worker then gave us 4 binders to look through. It was just like we read it would be, but it was like nothing else we have ever experienced. Page after page were children that were labeled as invalids, retarded, aids, etc. There were some younger children, but they have 5 or 6 siblings. At that time I was wondering what in the world we were doing. After about 2 hours there were a few pages that we had pulled out that we wanted some more information on. We had the option of accepting a referral or try to make another appointment, which can take up to 2 weeks or possibly not at all. We both agreed that we would not take a second appointment- as it could really be pretty much the same thing. We were able to accept a referral that we both felt peaceful about. We are taking a 9 hr train ride tomorrow night to meet the child, whose lives in the Kherson region (on your map link). We know that nothing is certain, but we are again putting our faith in the Lord, as He is in control. We would like to keep the details to ourselves until we have a chance to meet. It is a very emotional time, but somehow we do feel at peace. We certainly know that nothing is definite and if things don't work out for us, then that is not God's will for us. It has been an amazing time already, despite the emotional torture! Ukraine is a very interesting place and they have a lot of food that we really like. We miss the kids a lot, but we know without a shadow of a doubt that we made the right decision to leave them at home with caring friends and family. We love you all and thank you every one for your prayers. Keep on praying, and Lord willing by Wednesday we will know a little more.

Love, Doug and Glenda

Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3

4 Comments:

  • Oh my...I am smiling, tearing, and just soooo remembering what the feelings are like that you are experiencing! And you are so right, that you can't even put it into words! (Kind of like being in labor, huh, Glenda?, that's what I thought of it as :0 ...)
    We are in suspense but are just so relieved that hopefully the most difficult decision is past and now the truly exciting time is to come!
    Just keep your faith in the process and God's devine leading...there is a purpose for you to be led to that particular binder with that chosen child.
    The girls can't wait to be with Rach at Kids Kare tomorrow and are counting down the days until Friday! What an exciting time it will be...celebrations for sure! :)
    Love you both, in love and faith as your journey, Rhonda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 14, 2005 3:47 PM  

  • It has been so great to be able to read how you are doing each day. What a great idea. I only wish we had thought of this when we were in Russia. As I read your latest post I am sitting here crying as I remember all too well the emotional ups and downs and all the uncertainty involved with going to meet a child that may become yours. We will continue praying for you and keeping you in our hearts. We can't wait to hear what tomorrow brings. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 14, 2005 7:44 PM  

  • Dear Glenda -

    I couldn't wait to get here tonight to learn how your day went. Such heartwrenching stuff! What an incredible journey.
    Rachel is in bed after doing some homework, snack, the usual bedtime routine and then reading her new puppy book. She was so very tired.
    They had a good time at CJ's. Nathan said he was tired too, and he didn't have any homework. He probably gets tired of me asking him how to do things. But he is so willing.
    I checked out all the pictures you had posted. They are really something. And I like your apartment.
    I will relay some of this to Nana. They are having November birthdays at the Manor tomorrow which I will be going to.
    I love you both and will be looking forward to your next comments. God's speed.

    Mother Hen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 15, 2005 6:03 PM  

  • Hand me a tissue, too...

    Oh, Glenda, I have the chills reading through your words. I can only image what it feels like to be making such a journey! We'll pray for safe travels for you and Drew (who is stuck in a foggy San Diego for an extra day)and for continued peace. Can't wait to hear how your meeting goes.

    Peace and Love to you and Doug,
    Mindy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 15, 2005 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters