A Step of Faith - Our Adventure to Ukraine

Ukraine Map

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Home At Last

For those of you who we haven’t talked to, we finally arrived in Philly around 4 pm on Thursday. Daniel did real well on the 8 hour flight and was greeted at the airport by his new brother and sister and Uncle Jeff and Aunt Faye. He was kind of shy at first, but started to talk a little more on the way home. We arrived home around 8 pm to a wonderful surprise. Our Sunday school class beautifully decorated our house for Christmas inside and out. I can’t tell you how much it meant to me and how warm and cozy it made us feel. God surprised us with a beautiful snow storm to top it off- it was a perfect homecoming.

It has been a busy couple of days, no real routine yet. Nathan, Rachel and Daniel really seem to get along and the first night they all slept together. He loves being outside and has rode bike for hours. He had his first trip to the barber and looks great with his new do! He falls asleep pretty quickly and wakes up with a smile. He is great pals with Andre and Molly and has learned to tell Molly to sit and speak! We were able to go to church and he enjoyed his new Sunday school class with his Aunt Dawn and Uncle Craig who are his teachers! It is going pretty good despite the language barrier. He knows that we can’t speak his language and he show us things with his hands. It is hard when we would like to explain something or vice versa. This week I will be looking into the school situation, but until then I will start with having him practice writing the alphabet and will be using a lot of picture books. He has had some practice with the English language and is able to write most of the letters.

Nathan has no problem with the extra attention Daniel has received and has had a few good laughs at some of his antics, but I am trying very hard to give Rachel equal attention as her new brother. She has done so well and I don’t want her to feel left out at all. It will take a while until we get into a routine and establish some boundaries for him, especially with Christmas coming up- he will think life is a never ending party!!!!

I don’t know if I will get all my Christmas cards out this year, so we would like to wish you all a joyous and peaceful Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year!

Merry Christmas and Love,

Doug, Glenda, Nathan, Daniel, and Rachel

Unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. Luke 2:11

7 Comments:

  • So glad to read that you are all home safely. Daniel's hair looks great! Corey and I couldn't believe how tall Nathan has gotten and how grown up he looks. It sounds as though it was a very special homecoming and I'm sure you were relieved to come home to nicely decorated house. It definatley takes one less thing off your list of things to do during this Christmas season. We are so happy for you and I am not exaggerating when I tell you that there is not a day that doesn't go by that I don't think about all of you. My sister-in-law, Chris, was teary eyed when I told her what name you gave your new son. (Daniel is my nephew's name and Chris has been very interested in your journey with adoption. Maybe God will plant that seed for them since Daniel is an only child and Chris has never stopped longing for another child.)
    Rebecca can't wait to see Rachel sometime soon and meet her new brother. I'll call you soon and see how things are going and maybe after the holidays pass or if Rachel has some time during Christmas break, we could get together. We continue to pray for you during this time of adjustment and pray for a fantastic Christmas for your entire family.
    Talk to you soon,
    Kim (musselman)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 12, 2005 4:10 AM  

  • Congratulations and welcome home. I have so much enjoyed following your journey. (Maybe someday these pages will be notes for a book...by Glenda or Daniel Valera!) I don't know if you'll continue with this blog (I'm sure many of us who aren't part of your day to day lives would enjoy that; but also know that you'll be very busy). We will continue to pray for your family.
    Christmas Blessings,
    Sue Hatch
    (& extended family also following your journey)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 12, 2005 4:25 AM  

  • So glad that you are all safely back home and reunited with your ENTIRE family. I will continue to pray that the adjust period goes well for everyone ... I can only imagine how difficult that must be for Daniel Valera - and for Nathan & Rachel too (not to mention you two!). I too hope that you are able to continue posting to the blog site ... what a journal that will make for Daniel Valera one day to read about everything that you all went through to have him join your family. I will miss seeing everyone on NY Eve ... hope we pick that tradition back up next year. Have a very Merry Christmas and all the best for 2006. (P.S. I don't know if I'll get Christmas cards out this year either ... and I don't have NEARLY as good of an excuse as you do!)
    Carol

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 13, 2005 2:46 PM  

  • WELCOME HOME !!
    Enjoy your family and have a
    MERRY CHRISTMAS !!

    I enjoyed following your journey.
    Blessings, Blanche and Ron

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 14, 2005 4:18 AM  

  • Dear Doug and Glenda,
    CONGRATULATIONS!!, Daniel looks like a great kid. He is very lucky to have you two as his parents. We are proud of both of you for listening to your hearts and making a difference. Can't wait to meet the newest member of the Moyer family.
    Love,
    Brian, Melissa and Jacob

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 23, 2005 7:49 PM  

  • Could you please email us at crielle921@yahoo.com THANK YOU!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 21, 2006 6:46 PM  

  • I noticed the last note went through too fast! We are adopting from Ukraine and have a few questions for you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 21, 2006 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters