Almost Home
I can hardly believe that almost 4 weeks have passed since Doug and I left our home and started on our journey. Sorry for not posting earlier, but the last few days were a little busy. We were on the train overnight Monday, 15 hrs. Tuesday we did the medical and a few other things we needed to finish up. We stayed at our 5th and final place in Ukraine on Tuesday night. We were able to book tickets yesterday for our return trip. We needed to leave Kiev for the airport at 12 noon for our 3 pm flight. Doug walked out of the Embassy in Kiev at 11:50 with Daniels visa! They were having computer problems. I think I was numb at this point, I thought we were not going to be able to leave, but God was listening to my prayers in the taxi! Helen was with us until we checked our bags. She is an extra special lady who has become very special to us. She was our only voice for close to 4 weeks and she worked diligently until the end to make sure that we had everything in place. She kept her cool under a lot of stress and kept us cool as well! We arrived in Paris around 6 pm and have a layover( there were no connecting fights) until tomorrow at 1 pm and arriving in Philadelphia late afternoon. There is a 6 hour time difference and our fight is 8 hours. We are both so excited to be coming home. We miss you guys so much!
It definitely has been a “Step of Faith”. We had read a lot about Ukraine and the culture, but in some situations you live and learn. We had heard about the adoption process there, but did not truly understand how difficult and exhausting the process was. We went over thinking we might meet two little people, but God’s sweet grace led us to a beautiful 9 year old boy. He is a perfect fit for our family. I never would have imagined that we would were able to spend so much time at the orphanage as we did. We have a lot of great memories of the children there and a better sense of where Daniel spent close to 4 years of his life.
We have learned a few unexpected things as well. We learned that a hot shower that you don’t have to “hold up” is a luxury. You can where the same 4 pants for 4 weeks and nobody knows but you. A lady can use a hole in the ground for a bathroom and still be a lady. It is normal to walk for 5 or 6 blocks just to see when a place of business has “reception” hours for the public. We learned that pushing and shoving are normal, and you shouldn’t take it personally.
On a serious note, we have gained so much from this experience. We have relied on each other and God in a far away land. We have met some wonderful Christians half a world away yet seemed so close. We have met some kind people and some people I would rather just forget (but we have that in our own country!). We have really admired the way the men and the women talk to the children like they are there own; reminding them to “be good” and have good manners. They are hard working and have so many valuable skills and a lot of knowledge. It is not that long since they have been a democratic society and it will take time for the old Russian ways to fade out. I also realized what we have in our country and how we should value it. It breaks my heart that it is now okay to teach about God in Ukrainian schools, but people everywhere our trying to remove God from so much in the U.S. I was actually moved to tears when we were at the airport when I saw a plane with the U S flag; United States of America. How blessed we are to be Americans with all the rights and privileges we have. We should all thank God for his grace to our nation- “One nation under God… with liberty and justice for all.”
I just want to thank you again for all your support, words of encouragement, and prayers. We have had so many prayers answered. We wanted some things right away, but God had better ideas in mind and every experience we had was for a reason. It will certainly take some time for Daniel to get adjusted. I feel bad that we cannot communicate with him, so many things I would like to say, but we are confident that he will learn the English language and love what being in a family means. I am sure that he will be homesick for his friends and his caretakers, so I ask you to continue to pray for his emotional well being. I pray that he will learn to love the Lord and his life will be full. He has made us laugh so many times already, and I know that you will all love him. It is hard to believe in this great big world that we were able to meet. I will never forget his sweet face when he walked into the room with his school uniform on.
How can we begin to thank Mom-Mom, Amy, Eric, Matthew, Craig, Dawn, Jeff, Faye, Dan, Kristi, Aaron, Jack, EJ, Ron, Rhonda, Mattea, and Melea for taking such wonderful care of Nathan and Rachel while we were away. Thank you so much for making dinners, packing lunches, reading books, cleaning up the house and all the other countless things. Thank you so much for taking care of Molly and Andre. Thanks Larry for the ride to the airport the day we left. Thanks to Kim for being “on call” for Rachel. We didn’t worry at all and every time I called I was homesick, but relieved that everyone was doing fine. You all have made this adventure possible for us and for Daniel.
Love Always, Doug, Glenda, and Daniel Valera
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
It definitely has been a “Step of Faith”. We had read a lot about Ukraine and the culture, but in some situations you live and learn. We had heard about the adoption process there, but did not truly understand how difficult and exhausting the process was. We went over thinking we might meet two little people, but God’s sweet grace led us to a beautiful 9 year old boy. He is a perfect fit for our family. I never would have imagined that we would were able to spend so much time at the orphanage as we did. We have a lot of great memories of the children there and a better sense of where Daniel spent close to 4 years of his life.
We have learned a few unexpected things as well. We learned that a hot shower that you don’t have to “hold up” is a luxury. You can where the same 4 pants for 4 weeks and nobody knows but you. A lady can use a hole in the ground for a bathroom and still be a lady. It is normal to walk for 5 or 6 blocks just to see when a place of business has “reception” hours for the public. We learned that pushing and shoving are normal, and you shouldn’t take it personally.
On a serious note, we have gained so much from this experience. We have relied on each other and God in a far away land. We have met some wonderful Christians half a world away yet seemed so close. We have met some kind people and some people I would rather just forget (but we have that in our own country!). We have really admired the way the men and the women talk to the children like they are there own; reminding them to “be good” and have good manners. They are hard working and have so many valuable skills and a lot of knowledge. It is not that long since they have been a democratic society and it will take time for the old Russian ways to fade out. I also realized what we have in our country and how we should value it. It breaks my heart that it is now okay to teach about God in Ukrainian schools, but people everywhere our trying to remove God from so much in the U.S. I was actually moved to tears when we were at the airport when I saw a plane with the U S flag; United States of America. How blessed we are to be Americans with all the rights and privileges we have. We should all thank God for his grace to our nation- “One nation under God… with liberty and justice for all.”
I just want to thank you again for all your support, words of encouragement, and prayers. We have had so many prayers answered. We wanted some things right away, but God had better ideas in mind and every experience we had was for a reason. It will certainly take some time for Daniel to get adjusted. I feel bad that we cannot communicate with him, so many things I would like to say, but we are confident that he will learn the English language and love what being in a family means. I am sure that he will be homesick for his friends and his caretakers, so I ask you to continue to pray for his emotional well being. I pray that he will learn to love the Lord and his life will be full. He has made us laugh so many times already, and I know that you will all love him. It is hard to believe in this great big world that we were able to meet. I will never forget his sweet face when he walked into the room with his school uniform on.
How can we begin to thank Mom-Mom, Amy, Eric, Matthew, Craig, Dawn, Jeff, Faye, Dan, Kristi, Aaron, Jack, EJ, Ron, Rhonda, Mattea, and Melea for taking such wonderful care of Nathan and Rachel while we were away. Thank you so much for making dinners, packing lunches, reading books, cleaning up the house and all the other countless things. Thank you so much for taking care of Molly and Andre. Thanks Larry for the ride to the airport the day we left. Thanks to Kim for being “on call” for Rachel. We didn’t worry at all and every time I called I was homesick, but relieved that everyone was doing fine. You all have made this adventure possible for us and for Daniel.
Love Always, Doug, Glenda, and Daniel Valera
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13


11 Comments:
The "Welcome Home Parade" is rehearsing as you read this...well, maybe not a real live parade but, you will probably see flurries of snow greeting you as you arrive in Philadelphia...we will continue to keep Doug, Glenda and Daniel Valera in our thoughts and prayers as you make your journey home...we always looked forward to our time with Nate and Rachel...which we will always treasure...thank you...we just love those two!
Take care of yourselves and we are looking forward to meeting Daniel Valera and of course seeing you two again! We pray for the safety
in your travels home...We love you all...Always, Craig and Dawn
By
Anonymous, at December 07, 2005 4:31 PM
Doug, Glenda and Daniel
We are so happy to hear that you were able to get an earlier flight and that you are on your way. We pray for your safe return and look forward to seeing all of you once you are settled back in. With the snow coming I am sure all the kids will have a blast sledding and getting to know each other. What a wonderful holiday this will be for you and your family. We will keep Daniel in our prayers as he adjusts to his new family. He has already been blessed by God by having the two of you come into his life. God bless and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Pat, Doug, Kyle and Eric
By
Anonymous, at December 07, 2005 6:17 PM
WELCOME HOME!!! At last, God has paved the way for you to come home! It has seemed like a long time for us here, but hopefully not for you there. You have become quite a journalist my dear, and your entries are so heartfelt that I feel like you are talking to me :) Please don't thank US for our part, we need to thank YOU for entrusting Rachel to us and giving us, especially Mattea and Melea some wonderful memories with Rachel! She has become even more special to us now, and I am sure we will forever feel a special connection :)
My heart is racing as I know how you are feeling on this journey home. So many emotions I am sure you are jumping out of your skin !
We will continue to pray for peace and safety (and good weather conditions) to bring you home, where there will be lots of love waiting for you!
We cannot wait to meet Daniel and feel sorry for how overwhelmed he may be with all the attention he will get! :)
See you soon my friends...Peace and blessings, love Rhonda
By
Anonymous, at December 07, 2005 7:05 PM
We pray for you all as you travel the rest of your journey home today. We pray for your angels to protect you. We pray for perfect weather conditions as well.
I agree with you fully about the way countries are here in Europe. And also about all the little things we take for granted...the hot showers, electric and on and on the list goes. On my last trip home, I could not believe the green grass!
The Lord Bless you as you start your new family. I am sure Daniel will adjust well. He probably will feel like it is a dream for a long time. Blessings. Blanche
By
Anonymous, at December 08, 2005 12:32 AM
Dear Glenda - Thanks for your comments today! I was kind of worried that I didn't hear anything the last few days. Everytime you write fills me with such emotion - just like Rhonda said - you are quite the journalist!! It has been wonderful and quite an experience to be in your home all these weeks! Learning to know Nathan and Rachel on the "home front" as well as Molly and Andre'. As I write this you are travelling and we are so looking forward to tonight and God planned a snow storm so you can all be at home tomorrow as Mom would say "regrouping". Hello to Doug and to Daniel and I'll see you later today. I love you all. May God bring you home to us safely.
Love, Mom
By
Anonymous, at December 08, 2005 5:22 AM
Doug, Glenda, and Daniel,
WOw, how relieved I was to see your updated blog and hear that you are on your way home. You will be coming home to a winter wonderland! Our family loves looking at the pictures, Daniel seems so comfortable with both of you, evidence again of God's plan for you and him. Glenda - how true about the sadness of our country and schools with eliminating God. When I was teaching Spanish, I would do lesson on the catholic faith in the Spanish culture and received some complaints about even that! We continue to pray for you as you travel and for Daniel as he comes "home". Corey and I think that you are so talented with your writing - you could write a book! God has given you the gift of words. (Among many other fantastic gifts as well, such as love, friendsip, parenting, etc.)
Praying for you faithfully,
Corey, Kim, Becca, and Brett
By
Anonymous, at December 08, 2005 7:07 AM
Hi There, The kids got off to school today. They missed the first bus (well Nathan did) and he assured me that a 2nd bus was coming....it did! (lucky for him b/c I was not taking them to school in my PJ's!!!!) Molly and Andre are acting confused and barking a lot. I think they can sense the excitement. What a great time to be getting home and to be able to have a snow day all together as a family! We will be looking forward to seeing you. Probably after church on Sunday as we have a pretty full schedule! Call me on my cell phone when you arrive home! Love and prayers! Amy
By
Anonymous, at December 08, 2005 7:19 AM
Dear Glenda:
Just here in your home packing my things up - I truly will miss being here with Nathan and Rachel and the dogs. Even though it made me busy - it was fun and a good thing. I felt sleep deprived - my own fault - on the computer too late at night! The first journey of your Step of Faith is just about over - the second step is bringing Daniel into this family in America! We will pray for him as he adjusts in many ways and also for all of you for the same.
See you later tonight - for a few minutes at least!
Love, Mom
By
Anonymous, at December 08, 2005 9:56 AM
Dear Glenda:
Just here in your home packing my things up - I truly will miss being here with Nathan and Rachel and the dogs. Even though it made me busy - it was fun and a good thing. I felt sleep deprived - my own fault - on the computer too late at night! The first journey of your Step of Faith is just about over - the second step is bringing Daniel into this family in America! We will pray for him as he adjusts in many ways and also for all of you for the same.
See you later tonight - for a few minutes at least!
Love, Mom
By
Anonymous, at December 08, 2005 9:56 AM
Oh, Glenda!!! You're Home??!!! I am so very excited for you. I had checked your site yesterday, but the last day you wrote was Sunday(?), and I wasn't sure if you were gonna get home early or not. You've made it home before the snow!! Boy, I'm sure that Daniel and Nate and Rachel will have some fun in the snow together. We will continue to pray for your family as you adjust and as Daniel learns English. Remember, though, "LOVE" is a universal language and I know he already knows that one! I'm guessing that we won't have Nate this W/e, but if you need us, just call. I'll probably call sometime just to touch base and let you know what "plans" were in the making for this Friday night. Again, we have enjoyed Nate and so glad he could feel comfortable in our home. All our love, Kristi
By
Anonymous, at December 08, 2005 5:00 PM
Well, Moyer family, you are now home in good ole USA ,sleeping ! You probably had a GREAT home coming ,seeing your other children once again. God Bless you as you all get adjusted to a family of 3 children. You will have MANY fun times together. There will be those moments too when discipline will come. But that will be ok, its the molding of little people to be great big people in years to come. Blessings to you all...Blanche
By
Anonymous, at December 08, 2005 11:44 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home